"Our faith supports each individual at Edwinstree to flourish and challenges us, to live life in all its fullness."

Edwinstree’s  ‘School Offer’ ( SEN Information Report )

How does the school know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

When your child starts our school their previous school will pass any SEN information to us to enable us to recognise and support your child’s learning.

If you feel that your child has any special educational needs then we would ask for you to contact your child’s form tutor to arrange an appointment to discuss in detail your concerns. 

When working with your child we may find that we have concerns about their progress and will investigate what the problem may be. 

Your child’s form tutor will contact you to raise any concerns and advise you on where you may go for help.  e.g GP, School Nurse.

How will school staff support my child?

Quality first teaching, differentiated for individual pupils, is the first step in our response to pupils who have or may have SEND.

Within school, teachers differentiate their lessons to cater for the needs of all pupils within their care.  This means covering the whole spectrum of ability from those who may find learning challenging to those who need to be challenged.

How will I know how my child is doing?

The school holds regular parent consultation evenings throughout the year.  During the meeting you are presented with current assessment data to show how your child is progressing.  The teachers produce comments on your child’s work and attitude for the form tutor to share with you.

If you have any concerns about your child’s progress then you may arrange extra meetings with the form tutor or teacher to discuss in more detail how your child is doing.

As a school we also give each child an ROA (Record of Achievement) diary, in which you may correspond with the teachers.

How will the learning and development provision be matched to my child’s needs?

Each child has some base line assessments on entry to Edwinstree, and in addition there are annual assessments to record progress.

We use CATS (Cognitive Ability Tests) on arrival in Year 5 and updated in Year 7, which informs us of your child’s ability, and gives us target predictors to aim for.

Each year we test the children’s reading age using the NGRT (National Group Reading Test) to inform us of any accessibility that they may need and their level of understanding when studying various texts.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

Your child’s wellbeing is extremely important to us, and their first level of support is always with their form tutor.  We also have teachers who are responsible for your child’s pastoral development, and they work with your child throughout their journey in Edwinstree. 

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

We have a highly skilled team of support staff with expertise in maths, literacy, speech and language.  We also have an experienced SENCO who has a wealth of knowledge on various SEND areas.  (Special Educational Needs and Disability)

We have a school counsellor who is in school once a week to work with pupils.

A school nurse is available for your child to see.

We have contact with the SpLD (Specific Learning Difficulties) base in Thorley Hill, Bishop’s Stortford.

The school is allocated a Speech and Language therapist who will work with children that have difficulty in this area, and develop individualised programs that are shared with all teaching staff.

Referrals are made to the Educational Psychology Service if needed.

Referrals are made to our Educational Support unit for behavioural advice.

We have access to advisory teachers for pupils who may be diagnosed with VI (Visual Impairment), HI (Hearing Impairment) orASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder).

An application for an EHCP (Educational Health and Care Plan) may be made in partnership with parents if requested.

What training have the staff had who support children and young people with SEND?

All staff have been up-skilling their knowledge of SEN. The SENCO has regular meetings with all staff and has led in-house training on dyslexia and behavioural strategies.

Staff have also received recent training on Herts STEPS (behaviour management), Challenging behaviour; PDA (Pathological Demand Avoidance) and EPIPEN training

How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

The mathematics department has run an after school session to help parents in supporting their child in maths.  There are maths groups where pupils are supported more closely with their learning.

Teachers are willing to discuss ways in which you can help your child in their subject area.

We have a booklet available on supporting your child with reading. There is a home reading record for KS2 children to encourage regular reading sessions with you and your child. We also have volunteer adults who regularly come in to hear children read. We have reading groups matched to ability and supported by a team of support staff alongside a teacher.

We provide a learning club that your child may join where an adult is available to assist in home learning tasks which can take the pressure off you as a parent.

How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

We actively invite parents in to discuss their child’s progress in the Autumn and Spring term.  Teachers are available to parents to discuss any issues with regard to their child’s learning.  Parent’s first port of call is the form tutor who may be contacted through our office team or via letter or request through the child’s ROA.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school visits?

We are fully inclusive in encouraging all pupils to join in educational visits and residential activities.  If there are SEND concerns regarding your pupil then the leader of the educational visit will fully discuss the issues with you and aim to reassure you about the safety of your child and that their needs will be addressed.

How accessible is the school environment?

The school has a lift that may be used if required to access the first floor of the main building.

We have ramps at various points throughout the site to allow for wheelchair access. We have three accessible toilets in addition to general toilet areas. Classrooms are all carpeted to aid the support of hearing impaired pupils.

Who can I contact for further information?

If you require any addition information about support for your child you may contact the school’s SENCO.

How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

We have an established transition programme for your child to join us. The LPD (Leader of Pupil Development) will visit your child’s first school in the summer term to liaise with his/her current teacher.

Your child’s school will forward SEN information to the SENCO. The First School’s SENCO will have a transition meeting with our SENCO.

When moving on to Upper School there is a meeting between staff from the Upper School and your child’s tutor.

The SENCOs from both schools hold a meeting to discuss any SEN issues or accessibility arrangements required.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

We have a large team of support staff who work alongside children as a group and individually if required. Support may be through use of resources rather than an extra adult:  We will provide coloured overlays if required. We have a number of AlphaSmarts available for pupils to use as appropriate. Some pupils make use of Kindles to aid their reading when script needs to be larger. Rapid Reads is a reading scheme that supports learning with facility for computer engagement.

We may use an extra adult to scribe for your child if this is felt necessary.

If your child requires accessibility for tests due to a low reading age, broken arm or difficulty with writing then we aim to ensure that they receive the support in line with guidance produced by the DfE for KS2 SATS.

There is also a newly opened area called ‘The Bridge’, which manages pupil emotional and behavioural well-being.

How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

The first level of support is the responsibility of the teacher through ‘Quality First Teaching.’

As a school, we look at the needs that all pupils have and will move the support accordingly. 

Pupils SEN needs will be considered when arranging for an extra adult to support them.

Many pupils with SEN will have their own strategies that they wish to use within the classroom rather than an additional adult, and this is respected and monitored carefully.

The head teacher and SENCO will discuss support with the teachers and make the decision together on how much support is deemed necessary.  As professionals, our aim is to encourage independent learning, and this has proved relatively successful.

How can I find information on the local authority’s Local Offer of services and provision for children and young people with special educational needs and disability?

There are various information leaflets available through Hertfordshire County Council for parents with children that have SEND.  www.hertsdirect.org/localoffer

and   dspl3.co.uk/parents/hertfordshires-local-offer


 updated Jan2016